* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition
* The Nebraska Furniture Mart rejected "huge incentives" to move its corporate headquarters to Dallas. If that had happened, you may as well move the state capitol from Lincoln to Lubbock.
* Not to worry. If the Furniture Mart would ever relocate to the Dallas area, UNL officials have vowed to get back in the Big 12 to seek revenge on Texas.
* The Henry Doorly Zoo is closing in on record attendance for the year. Many of the visitors are just there to cool off in the Desert Dome.
* Fireworks are blamed for two house-fires in Papillion. This may be the only place where we show our patriotism by burning down half the town.
* The fireworks in Omaha this year were something else. Normally when you hear that many blasts, it’s followed by two countries negotiating reparations.
* More record heat in Omaha. I was sweating like Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad looking at a bag of carrots.
* Breaking news: Late Thursday, security agents guarding Branstad wrestled a cucumber to the ground.
* A heat advisory is in effect for Omaha. Because it’s Omaha, there are also pothole, firecracker and tax advisories.
* There were 80 fireworks stands in the Omaha area and four or five cooling stations. Something about that proportion seems off.
* The scorching temperatures back East also continue. Everyone’s hair is starting to look like Donald Trump’s.
* A few weeks ago, ESPN aired the National Spelling Bee, which seemed to indicate that our nation’s young are bright and well-mannered. Then on the Fourth, in a form of rebuttal, ESPN televised the Coney Island Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest.
* President Obama is on a bus tour of Pennsylvania and Ohio. I believe this is the "Get Out of Dodge Before The Jobs Report Comes Out" tour.
* Obama’s bus tour stopped in Poland, Ohio so he could discuss the Friday jobs report. Too bad there’s not a town called China, Ohio; it’d be emblematic of where all our jobs are going.
* This is pretty embarrassing - all 200 reporters accompanying President Obama on his bus tour sped off down the highway at 90 mph after word broke that Katie Holmes was speaking out on her divorce.
* Mitt Romney spent the Fourth of July at his vacation home in New Hampshire. Fortunately, the Romneys have vacation homes in all 16 key battleground states to choose from.
* Romney was photographed on a jet ski. A little different - when he jet skies, Romney carries drilling equipment in case he passes over any water areas where there might be oil.
* Mitt Romney went on vacation in the middle of an important campaign. Now he’s acting presidential.
* There’s a popular online video of a dog and a pet pig that have formed a friendship. They bonded over their mutual contempt for the cat.