* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition
* According to the disappointing June jobs report, only 80,000 new jobs were created. And half of those were for fireworks salesmen in Omaha.
* Friday afternoon the TV show "The Amazing Race" held tryouts outside Mrs. B's in Omaha. They came to the right place. Nothing on "The Amazing Race" is more daunting than the morning commute in Omaha.
* A number of celebrities have shown up at Wimbledon. Here's how you know someone isn't an A-list celebrity: Instead of at Wimbledon, he's spotted in the crowd at the Coney Island Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest.
* The Wall Street Journal printed a stinging rebuke of the Mitt Romney campaign. If the Wall Street Journal is this hard on a Republican, I hate to see what the San Francisco Chronicle and MSNBC have to say.
* Actor Alec Baldwin was married in New York City. I’m starting to think he might have an anger problem. When the wedding guests threw rice, he threw it back.
* Baldwin’s new wife was a typical blushing bride. She was mainly blushing because he had the wedding photographer in a headlock.
* The Chicago City Council wants to ban teenagers from making repeat trips to tanning parlors. Sure, you shouldn’t be allowed to keep going to back to tanning parlors in Chicago; they’re not like polling places.
* According to a new study, parents are happier than non-parents. I’m going out on a limb and guess not many of the parents were contacted while their teething 2-year-old was recovering from mumps.
* Health experts now believe that people should "massage" some of our food before eating it. We’re just happy when Americans take food out of the packaging before shoving it into their mouths.
* In Minnesota, a group of ducks think that the mailman is their mother. You think you’re gonna be impacted if home delivery ceases. "Where’s Mom?"
* The Omaha girl selected to appear on the TV show "The Real World" is described as "an outdoorsy, corn-fed cutie." Which is also the official Republican bio for Deb Fischer.
* A new world record was set in the men’s decathlon by Ashton Eaton. Legendary decathlete Bruce Jenner-Kardashian still holds one record: Worst Family Ever Married Into.
* Over 30 thoroughbred racehorses in the U.S. have tested positive for a hard-to-detect performance-enhancing substance found on the back of the waxy tree frog. 150 Tour de France riders hopped off their bikes mid-race to ask, "Waxy tree what?"
* For the first time, Saudi Arabia is going to allow women to compete in the Olympics. How embarrassing is this for Augusta National Golf Club - to have the world know you’re less progressive than Saudi Arabia?
* The Home Run Derby at TD Ameritrade Park featured a couple who got legally married at home plate. I’m telling you, couples who attend baseball games will do anything to get on the kiss cam.
* A Malvern, Iowa woman who’s been playing golf for all of three weeks recorded a hole-in-one. If you’re been playing golf for decades without a hole-in-one, try not to bang your head against the wall more than five times.