* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition
* Another cougar was spotted west of York recently. He was scared off by all the bells and whistles honoring him as the 1,000th cougar spotted in the York area.
* A Swiss couple driving around the world set a record when their Toyota Land Cruiser notched 400,000 miles on the odometer. That's the second-highest total recorded on an odometer, right behind Mitt Romney's campaign bus.
* The Lincoln horse-race track just held its last live race ever. You know what that means. The only remaining shot for the Nebraska Legislature to balance the budget: pickle cards.
* Erin Andrews has landed a job at Fox Sports. The Obama job creation team said, "Well, that's one."
* Here's some product placement: In the new "Spider-Man" movie, Peter Parker uses the Bing search engine. Someone actually using Bing? I guess that's why it's called science fiction.
* While building a new subway in Greece, workers uncovered a 2,000-year-old road. Now this is not to be confused with the road construction on 144th Street in Omaha, which is scheduled to be completed in 2,000 years.
* Here's the amazing thing: That 2,000 year old road in Greece is still in better shape than the interstate in Missouri.
* Bristol Palin's new reality show has been bumped to a later time slot by the Lifetime network to make way for a show called "Dance Moms." I think the only thing worse than a Bristol Palin reality show is one called "Dance Moms."
* Bangor, Maine, just held a drill to prepare for a "zombie apocalypse." What can you say about a country that is wholly unprepared for the fiscal cliff crisis on Jan. 1, but preps for a zombie apocalypse?
* A US Airways plane got stuck when it sank into the tarmac at Reagan National Airport because the heat was so bad. Because of the financial condition of the major airlines, all the passengers had to get out and push.
* A female U.S. wrestler will miss the Olympics after testing positive for marijuana, which is considered a performance enhancer. Compared to what, Sominex?
* If marijuana is a performance enhancer, Willie Nelson would be representing us in the decathlon.
* If marijuana was a performance enhancer, instead of Michael Phelps-Ryan Lochte, the biggest Olympic rivalry would be Woody Harrelson-Snoop Dogg.