* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition
* President Obama arrives in Council Bluffs on Monday. Obama campaign officials are expected to be taken aback when they realize that Ameristar’s advertising budget is larger than theirs.
* I wouldn’t say campaign officials misled Obama to get him to agree to go to Bayliss Park, but he’s expecting to be carrying a golf bag.
* Council Bluffs is the first stop of Obama’s drive across the state. To win over Iowans, the president will be traveling with a 60-foot butter cow.
* Tickets to see President Obama are free. Sure, with his jobs and economic plans, the president knows people can’t afford to pay.
* The Iowa state fair kicked off on Thursday, featuring new “healthy dining options.” Since it’s a state fair, you can get pork rind and lard cheese sandwiches with a little hummus on top.
* At their Aug. 25 state fair debate, Bob Kerrey and Deb Fischer will answer questions submitted by Omaha.com readers. I have a sneak peek at the first questions: “Who do you think Taylor Martinez’ back-up should be?” and, “Should the Huskers blitz more?”
* OPPD is partnering with a Kansas City company on a new $400 million transmission line. To come up with its $200 million for the deal, OPPD will be using the funds I paid for my electric bills this summer.
* At the Olympics, U.S. runner Manteo Mitchell suffered a broken leg during his race but still finished, allowing the U.S. to advance in the 4 x 400 meter relay. Your move, China.
* A female gymnast from Uzbekistan was suspended after a positive drug test. She was suspected of juicing when she tipped the scales at over 47 pounds.
* On Wednesday, beach volleyball stars Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh played their final match ever. Friday night NBC planned to air a 90-minute feature on the pair called “Where Are They Now?”
* Sunday NBC airs the closing ceremonies. With all the tape-delayed events, this is the closing ceremonies from the 1996 Olympic Games.
* The Spice Girls are scheduled to perform at the Olympic closing ceremonies. Now they’re all known as Anonymous Spice.
* With the closing ceremonies almost upon us, right now American officials are concerned that our team’s outfits won’t arrive from Macau in time.
* A woman wrestler who wasn’t allowed to go to the Games after testing positive for marijuana estimated that 50 U.S. Olympians smoke marijuana. You think those Chinese-made opening ceremony outfits were embarrassing, we’re just lucky the Americans didn’t go with the cannabis shirts.
* A U.S. judo competitor was disqualified after testing positive for marijuana he claims he got from inadvertently eating a baked good containing marijuana. After which 25 Tour de France riders said, “Baked goods? I like that...”
* Kate Middleton met with the U.S. women’s gymnastics team to hear their stories. It would’ve been great if Prince Charles was there, I understand he’s all ears.
* An American female wrestler lifted Michelle Obama up in the air. This is a time to really be grateful that Chris Christie isn’t representing the United States.
* Sixteen-year-old Chinese swim star Ye Shiwen is finished with her events. She turned down a plane ticket and informed officials she’ll be swimming home.