* * * * * * * * * *
Breaking Brad's morning edition:
* On Saturday at the Nebraska State Fair, Deb Fischer and Bob Kerrey held a 90-minute debate. Because it’s the only scheduled debate, the Kerrey campaign requested that it be seven hours long.
* The audience at the debate was described as raucous. The last time I heard an audience that was that into it, some guy on "The Jerry Springer Show" was throwing a chair.
* Both Fischer and Kerrey were aggressive. The highlights occurred when Fischer bear-hugged the moderator and Kerrey gave his response while performing a handstand.
* At the state fair, a record was set for “Longest Tractor Parade” when 800 tractors drove through Grand Island. An hour later, the record was broken, when Deb Fischer and entourage arrived for the debate.
* Bob Kerrey wants seven debates with Deb Fischer, while Fischer wants only three debates. I hereby call on Kerrey and Fischer to become the first Democrat and Republican in nine years to compromise and hold five debates.
* Faux Sarah Palin appeared in The World Herald college football preview section. Right now Deb Fischer is keeping fingers crossed this isn’t who she lunched with two weeks ago.
* The Neb. State Fair features a double-bacon corn dog. This is for fair-goes who would look at the ordinary bacon corn dog and go: “You know what the problem with this is? It’s too darn healthy.”
* The big story is that disaster in the southeastern U.S. But enough about Chris Berman’s play-by-play calling debut.
* Tropical Storm Isaac has delayed the GOP convention. How embarrassing is this? The only network covering the convention is the Weather Channel.
* The Republican convention has been shortened to three days. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen to the Democratic convention. Three days isn’t enough time for keynote speaker Bill Clinton to say hello.
* The convention convened briefly for a few minutes on Monday, then immediately began a recess. Or, as Congress calls that, “business as usual.”
* I think this was inappropriate: After reporting that a tropical storm had forced the delay of the Republican convention, the CNN meteorologist was showered in confetti and balloons.
* The governor of Florida declared a state of emergency. When asked about the approaching tropical storm, he said, “Well, that too.”
* A Sunday night Republican-party-sponsored, pre-convention concert by Lynyrd Skynyrd was canceled. It’s too bad. Mitt Romney planned to join the group on “Sweet Home Alabama” and declare it his 19th home state.
* Even Mother Nature doesn’t approve of Florida politics.
* After seeing the forecast, Mitt Romney said, “I knew we should’ve held the convention in Iowa.”
* I wouldn’t say these conventions are highly scripted, but if the Teleprompter blows away they’re just going to hold a staring contest.
* World Humanitarian Day was on Sunday. The point is that we are all equal. Mitt Romney was going to attend but instead sent the man servant whose job it is to pluck the cuticles from his fingernails.
* Mitt Romney’s Ninth grade report card was just made public, and a teacher wrote he had a tendency toward overconfidence and under performance. That’s what Republicans want to hear about their presumed nominee going into the nominating convention.
* An Arkansas man was mounted by a “lusty bull” who left the guy alone after the bull “lost interest.” I’m not sure which is worse - being mounted by a bull or finding out you’re not good enough.
* Here’s a sign you may want to consider a diet - a three-ton bull mistakes you for his mate.