* * * * * * * * * *
Breaking Brad's afternoon edition:
* A 15-year-old girl just became the youngest golfer to win an LPGA event when she took the Canadian Open. She's also the first sports champion to say she's looking forward to going to Disney World and mean it.
* There was already a horrible storm-related event at the Republican convention. A Ron Paul delegate blew into the auditorium.
* The hurricane is approaching from the east and the south. Wouldn't it be something if missing weapons of mass destruction blow into the hall?
* Lance Armstrong has been banned for life and will be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles. Instead of a cyclist, Armstrong wishes he were a Major League Baseball player. Instead of lifetime bans, an asterisk the size of a pinhead would appear beside his name.
* The Storm Chasers just held Dog Day at Werner Park. The stadium was packed until that ambulance drove past and half the crowd chased it.
* Mariah Carey is going to perform before the NFL kickoff game. This will be the first time that the greatest physical effort on the field will be expended by the pre-game entertainer.
* Now that we have a female NFL referee, there’s one barrier that’s yet to fall - the first NFL referee whose microphone works.
* So far in this Major League Baseball season we’ve had three perfect games and six no-hitters. Pitching has dominated so much that the highlight of the Houston Astros was when a guy hit a long foul ball down the right field line.
* The team from New Jersey played well at the Little League World Series. The coach gave the boys an inspirational pep talk where he explained that if they lose they have to go back to New Jersey.
* How about that team preparing to kick off the eight-man football season? Of course I’m talking about Penn State after all the transfers.
* The mayor of Lincoln may show up at Husker football practice. Not to wish the team luck, no, to oversee water breaks. Players are only allowed a drink on odd days of the week.