* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition
Click here to read the morning edition.
* Tuesday afternoon President Obama was slated to speak at Iowa State University. If he talked of the need to support those rising up against a totalitarian regime, we'll know it was an obvious reference to schools in the former Big 12 North.
* The goal of the Republican convention: Win over women voters. NBC sports executives said, "That's easy – instead of convention speakers, just show lots of diving and gymnastics."
* The Republicans want to win over women voters and close the gender gap with President Obama. That explains keynote speaker Dr. Oz.
* UFC 151 scheduled for Sept. 1 has been canceled. So if you want to see armbars, body blows and somebody repeatedly punched after they're already down, you'll just have to follow the Obama campaign.
* OPS has its fourth grading system in four years. I tell you, they're going through grading systems like they were superintendents.
* Westside Community Schools recently implemented a new middle school grading system. It's controversial because it's the only system where your grade is tied to the value of your parents' home.
* Lady Gaga just made an appearance at the World Humanitarian Day Concert. The point of the event is to convey that we are all equal, which Gaga attempted to portray while looking down at fans from atop her 16-inch heels.
* The presidential election is right around the corner. To try and get President Obama to attend church, campaign aides are designing a hologram to make a church look like a golf course clubhouse.
* A new strain of flu is believed to spread from pigs to humans. People are advised to avoid intimate contact with pigs. If you enjoy that, catching the flu is the least of your concerns.
* The father of Jessica and Ashlee Simpson has been arrested. OK, I realize some of those CDs stink, but this seems a little drastic.
* Actually, Joe Simpson was arrested on suspicion of DUI. To add insult to injury, the cop told him, “You have the right to remain silent – like your kids when they're lip-synching.”
* Earlier this year, Happie set a new world record for skateboarding by a goat when he rode one 118 feet. Now, realistically, how much competition is there in this category?