LAKE CITY — Authorities have released the names of three children and an adult who died in a house fire in Lake City in western Iowa.
Police Chief Bobby Rist on Wednesday identified the victims as 22-year-old Tyra Pierson and her children Madison, 8; Wyatt, 3; and Xavier, 10 months.
Rist says they died of smoke and soot inhalation. The deaths are listed as accidental.
Authorities believe a worn electrical cord from a lamp caused the fire early Tuesday.
Lake City Fire Chief Mel Alcox said the cord got stuck in the cushions of a couch, overheated and started the couch on fire. He said the room was being renovated with exposed walls and insulation, which caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the house.