* * * * *
* There were wind gusts of about 50 mph in the Omaha area early Friday morning. A group of OPPD executives formed a human chain so they could get inside the office and raise rates.
* The wind was blowing 50 mph in eastern Nebraska Thanksgiving night. I had a close call when I was nearly blown into a store holding an early Black Friday sale.
* Friday was garbage pickup day for me. I think I spotted one of my empty cans of brussels sprouts orbiting the International Space Station.
* I had a full Thanksgiving. I watched the Houston-Detroit NFL game, followed by the Redskins-Cowboys game, and then the Patriots and the Jets and — oh, man, I forgot to eat Thanksgiving dinner.
* President Obama had Thanksgiving dinner with his wife, daughters and, his mother-in-law. I'm trying to confirm that Obama asked: “Can't we stay in Myanmar one more day?”
* Every year the White House Thanksgiving turkeys are given silly names, this time they're Cobbler and Gobbler. At one point Cobbler looked up at the president and said: “Let me get this straight — you're called Barack Hussein Obama?”
* The 86th Macy's Thanksgiving parade featured huge balloons that resembled gigantic frogs and hedgehogs. Child psychologists say the little ones should stop having nightmares in nine months tops.
* New Macy's parade floats this year included Hello Kitty and Papa Smurf. In a sad sign of the times, Papa Smurf was disqualified after testing positive for performance enhancers.
* The Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade took place in New York City. If you saw any of the previous 85 parades, you had it pretty much covered. It doesn't change much.
* Millions of Americans marveled at the beauty and pageantry of the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. Well, they marveled at as much beauty and pageantry can be conveyed while watching on a 3 inch screen on a cellphone.
* We all have things we are thankful for. Again this year I was thankful I did not have to block Ndamukong Suh in the Thanksgiving game.
* In the annual Thanksgiving game, NFL's “Dirtiest Player” Ndamukong Suh put some distance between himself and no. 2 Richie Incognito.
* Suh's foot may or may not have intentionally hit the groin on Texans QB Matt Schaub. At this point Suh has as much chance of getting the benefit of the doubt as Lindsay Lohan after a fender bender.
* I saw a group of shoppers in Omaha toting a canoe so they could still get to the stores in event of a water main break.
* On Thanksgiving Day President Obama called 10 members of the armed services station in Afghanistan. The service personnel thanked Obama and then graciously did not add that they wished Romney had won.
* There's something called Butterball University where you can learn to cook a turkey. Some breaking news — Butterball U. has just accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten.
* President Lincoln declared a late Thursday in November to be Thanksgiving Day in 1863, but it took Congress until 1941 to make it a formal holiday. Nice to see that Congress was moving with the same efficiency and speed back then as it is today.