* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
At a press conference near 10th and Howard Streets on Wednesday, Omaha's new parking manager was introduced. He's off to a rough start. Only three people showed for the presser; the rest couldn't find parking in the Old Market.
* Omaha's new parking manager will be paid $70,534 – all of it in quarters.
* It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. In a big tradition, the Christmas tree at Midtown Crossing went up. And in another big Christmas tradition, last night all the shops at Village Pointe simultaneously marked up prices 29 percent.
* The reunited Backstreet Boys are planning a U.S. tour. This can only speed up the secessionist movement.
* Fifty states have submitted petitions to the president announcing plans to secede from the union. Colorado's petition is on rolling papers.
* In England, the World's Biggest Liar contest is being held. We just had that in the U.S. It was called “the 2012 elections.”
* After mistaking a story in the Onion on dictator Kim Jong-un being named sexiest man alive, China's communist newspaper ran a 55-image slideshow on him. I'd make more fun of this if I didn't live in a country where Us magazine wasn't planning a 60-page spread on the new “Dancing with the Stars” runner-up.
* Lindsay Lohan has been arrested and thrown in jail. OK, I realize her performance as Elizabeth Taylor wasn't good, but I don't feel incarceration is warranted.
* Lindsay Lohan has been arrested in New York City on suspicion of assault. There's something you don't see every day. You only see that about two or three times per week.
* IKEA is celebrating its 25th anniversary in Britain. To mark the occasion, the British government presented IKEA with an unassembled plaque.
* Jack Taylor, the Grinnell College player who scored 138 points in a game, scored 21 points in his next. The opposing coach said he was glad he decided to quadruple team him.
* After getting thrown out of a game with two technicals, Lamar basketball coach Pat Knight called his dad, Bobby Knight. And Bobby let him have it. Not for the two technicals, but for not tossing a chair at someone as he left the court.
* In California, a live shark was found writhing on a golf course. This is when you know the golf course lake is too large.