* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* At this point, the only way Republicans can get President Obama to pass a fiscal-cliff deal they pass is to trick him into thinking he's signing his golf scorecard.
* Some happy news for an estranged Hollywood couple: Actress Rhea Perlman and actor Danny Devito have decided to work on their marriage. Apparently she missed hearing the pitter-patter of little feet around the house.
* Tuesday night, the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show aired on TV. Ironically, the lingerie models wore more clothes than the NFL cheerleaders who were on TV Monday night.
* This weekend, Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman is holding an open house at the governor's mansion. Everyone's welcome except for the guy who last year ordered $600 worth of pay-per-view movies on the mansion TV set.
* Police in Louisiana ordered a homeowner to take down Christmas lights in the shape of a middle finger. OK, here's when you know someone probably has anger issues.
* The homeowner has Christmas lights in the shape of a middle finger. For now, the Santa mooning the neighbors can stay.
* OPPD is raising rates, MUD is raising rates, the head of MUD got a raise and the Douglas County Board approved 2 percent raises for 300 managers. Are we sure it's an early flu season in Omaha? Maybe all the nausea is from following the news.
* Congressional leaders just lit the U.S. Capitol Christmas tree. Following tradition, a Republican pulled the switch while a group of Democrats hugged the tree.
* Rick Santorum said he's open to running for president in 2016. Eight seconds later, Santorum was declared the winner of the 2016 Iowa caucuses.
* Three women activists stripped off all of their clothes outside John Boehner's office. Folks, if you think stripping off your clothes is going to make Boehner take your side, you are mind-numbingly naive. Instead, I'd try any Democrat down the hall.
* On Thursday, the legalized marijuana law went into effect in Washington. Marijuana advocates were going to hold a big party but decided that since it's hard to find Twinkies, there was really no point.
* In an upcoming movie, Alec Baldwin is Santa Claus. This will be the first Santa who attacks people in the mall who try to take his photo.
* The band Aerosmith is going out on tour. The group will be playing lots of its early hits from the Paleolithic period.
* Iowa and Iowa State coaches are the highest-paid employees in the state, with Kirk Ferentz topping the list at $3.65 million per year. In 2012 that works out to about $480,000 per first down.
* Auburn hired a new football coach, although details of his contract have yet to be worked out. Reportedly his agent is demanding “Auburn quarterback money.”