What happened in the Midlands on this day? Here’s a sampling from the World-Herald archives.
Libraries, ice rink bids next month
December 20, 1974: The city would open bids in January on combined library/community centers for the Dundee and Florence areas and for an indoor ice arena in Hitchcock Park, all financed with 1974 bond issue proceeds. The cost of the three buildings was expected to total about $2.2 million, Parks and Recreation Director Clarence E. Shafer said. The buildings may be ready by late 1975, he said. The Dundee building would be named for A. V. Sorensen, former mayor and donor of the site at the northwest corner of 48th and Cass Streets.
1939: The Nebraska Supreme Court in Lincoln declared invalid two sections of the 1937 automobile dealer’s “little NRA” law, but upheld the validity of the remainder of the act. A proviso relating to the licensing of the sale of new motor vehicles was nullified, as was a section setting out of the causes for denial or revocation of a license. The ruling came on an original action brought by the A.C. Nelson Auto Sales of Omaha, in which the constitutionality of the entire law was challenged.
1990: Two city officials said that they were considering several ways to improve the new program for collecting recyclables and to get more Omahans to participate. Bob Sink, city environmental quality manager, and Dan Slattery, city recycling coordinator, said the city also was looking at options if the Refuse Resource Recovery System’s operation fails. Sink declined to identify options the city was considering if Refuse Resource was unable to continue operations. Refuse Resource separates recyclables from Omaha’s residential waste and hauls non-recyclables to the Douglas County landfill.
1999: Spontaneous combustion between rags and cleaning materials in a storage area caused a church fire in Papillion. Lt. Jeff Jones of the Papillion Fire Department said that was the determination of the state fire marshal. Damage to St. Columbkille Catholic Church, 200 E. 6th St., was estimated at $5,000. No one was injured in the fire, which was contained to a lower-level storage and conference room and an adjoining office.