This is Brad's afternoon edition.
* * * * *
* For the first time in over a century, a queen of England attended a cabinet meeting. That's when you know a position is largely ceremonial. You only have to drop by the office once every 100 years.
* Seventy-six year old country singer Charlie Daniels underwent rotator cuff surgery. Darn the luck. The Kansas City Royals had just traded for Daniels to shore up their pitching staff.
* NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said fans might prefer to stay home because the TV broadcasts of games are so good. To keep this from becoming a bigger problem, the NFL is bringing in the new play-by-play team of Tony Kornheiser and Carrot Top.
* NHL player Ian White called Commissioner Gary Bettman “an idiot.” So at least the two sides are still communicating.
* In Orlando, preparations for the Capital One Bowl continue. A quick memo to Georgia fans planning to hit up SeaWorld. Remember: No fishin'.
* The New Orleans Hornets may change their nickname to Pelicans. Just when you think pro sports mascots can't get any more obnoxious, picture a guy in a bird suit chasing around a fan before spitting a live fish on him.
* A new Robert E. Lee display opened at the Library of Congress. This is not to be confused with the 200 waving Confederate flags on TV, which is a University of Georgia pep rally in Orlando.
* According to a report, the Maryland athletic department may be nearly broke. When Maryland officials said they were looking forward to starting a new chapter in the Big Ten, I didn't realize it was going to be Chapter 11.
* Michael Jordan has a new shoe on the market. The co-winners of the $560 million Powerball Lottery said they'd like to buy a pair, if they're able to save up enough money.
* Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder has married ESPN sideline reporter Samantha Steele. There's no truth to rumors that ESPN executives pressured her to marry Tim Tebow instead.
* Friday afternoon in Washington President Obama met with John Boehner, Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell, a group that nobody ever mistook for the Three Wise Men.
* The Metro Holiday Boys Basketball Tournament is getting underway. A little ceremony will be held before the opening tip off to present the championship trophy to Omaha Central.