* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* In Orlando, the Huskers just visited SeaWorld, where Eric Martin successfully wrestled three alligators.
* The fiscal-cliff negotiations are getting out of hand. I haven't witnessed this type of partisan one-upsmanship since Candy Crowley last hosted a debate.
* Although you cannot buy fireworks in Omaha, it is legal to shoot them off until 1 a.m. on New Year's Eve. Dare I say this may be a better city if we had a few less firecrackers and a couple more snowplows.
* Douglas County's only fireworks vendor is the United Methodist Church in Waterloo. You know you're in Nebraska over Christmas when a church skips the manger scene to go with the fireworks stand.
* It is legal to shoot fireworks on New Year's Day in Omaha starting at 8 a.m. The goal is obviously is cut down on overimbibing on New Year's Eve with loud firecrackers going off at 8:01 the next morning.
* Actually, this year people will be shooting fireworks to try and break up the ice jams in front of their homes.
* To stave off a potential worldwide recession, the U.S. Senate was scheduled to convene at 11 a.m. Monday. Which begs the question: What would it take for these people to begin work at 9?
* The Senate convened at 11, worked till noon, then broke for a two-hour martini lunch.
* Gone is talk of a “grand bargain.” What we'll likely get is some watered-down plan calling for higher taxes on billionaires named Larry.
* Any fiscal plan adopted now will be scaled-down shadow of the original plan. Originally these were called the “Super Bowl of negotiations.” It's now basically the “Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.”
* The NFL Pro Bowl rosters have been announced. Perfect timing. After the hustle and bustle of the holidays, the players named can catch up on their sleep during the game.
* One guy named to the NFC team already left a wake-up call for early in the fourth quarter.
* Tim Tebow's time with the New York Jets is nearing an end. The rest of the Jets are relieved; now they no longer have to put up with Tebow showering with his clothes on.