It's easy to think of winter as a season to survive before you can play outside again, but the truth is there's no better time to entertain. Embrace the winter wonderland with close friends and warm drinks.
* * *
Make-Your-Own Hot Chocolate Bar
Mix up a batch of hot chocolate, adorn simple mugs with glitter bows and let your guests doctor-up their own drinks. Create a bar of white and dark chocolates, caramels and peppermint, and then top things off with whipped cream and/or marshmallows. Looking to add a little more life to the party? An added shot of chocolate or coffee liqueur should do the trick.
* * *
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup unsweetened
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 1/2 cups milk
1. Boil water.
2. Combine cocoa, sugar and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan, then blend in boiling water.
3. Bring mixture to a boil while stirring.
4. Simmer and stir for 2 minutes, making sure that you don't scorch the mixture.
5. Stir in milk and heat, but don't bring to a boil.
6. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Copyright ©2013 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.