* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* A man named Derek Samson launched a campaign on Twitter to have a beer named after him, and it paid off -- a brewery is coming out with a Samson Brew. See, young people? If you demonstrate persistence and fortitude, one day you, well, can get your own beer.
* A man claims he measured a Subway restaurant “footlong” sandwich, and it was 11 inches. People are outraged. I love the priorities. Nobody much cares about the Fast and Furious scandal, but take away one inch of our sub sandwiches, and you’re in for the fight of your life.
* The band Chicago has a new CD. To give you an idea how long Chicago has been around, the first Chicago album was recorded using crude instruments made of animal bones.
* The Nude Olympics underway in Australia features frisbee tossing. Call me crazy, but I have trouble getting into a sport that resembles the recreation area at a nudist colony.
* Former Oakland Raider Tim Brown is claiming that then-Oakland Raiders coach Bill Callahan sabotaged Super Bowl XXXVII with his game plan. I think Husker fans will be the first to defend Callahan and say it was almost certainly just really bad coaching.
* Film director Quentin Tarantino said his mother dated Wilt Chamberlain. If Chamberlain’s autobiography was true, this has all the exclusivity of “Attention Kmart shoppers.”
* Breaking news on Twitter -- fake Oprah is going to conduct an interview with Manti Te’o’s fake girlfriend. Stay tuned for details.
* Manti Te’o and family are talking with Katie Couric. This girlfriend hoax is the most embarrassing thing to happen to Fighting Irish football since NBC cut away from the president’s State of the Union address to cover that Notre Dame pregame meal.
* I’m sorry, but there are too many NFL postseason awards. After he slid with his spikes up toward the groin of a Ravens defensive back in the AFC Championship game, Tom Brady was awarded the new Ty Cobb Trophy.
* During their inaugural dance, the Obamas shared a kiss. Depending on whether you were watching CNN or Fox News, it was either, "A romantic gesture shared by America's favorite couple" or, "A grotesque public display of affection by two overt publicity mongers."
* The first day back to work after the inauguration began with a prayer in Washington. With a debt ceiling vote looming, it's obvious that prayer is our only hope.
* Beyonce may have lip-synced the national anthem. Halfway through, a chuckling Bill Clinton nudged Hillary and said, "Even I made it through the inauguration without a scandal."