* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition. Check back this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* In the midst of the coldest day in Omaha in two years on Thursday, there was another water main break. As if conditions on side streets aren't bad enough now there's a new concern -- icebergs.
* A “warming trend” is predicted for Omaha. Before you get too excited, that could mean high temperatures of 9 degrees.
* Saturday is Groundhog Day, which is now a huge event in Omaha. Sure, with Jim Flowers M.I.A., the groundhog is our go-to weather forecaster.
* Groundhog Day is a little different in Omaha. The groundhog crawls out of a pothole on Leavenworth Street.
* In the spirit of the weekend, Ray Lewis has been linked to a banned compound made from groundhog sweat.
* Lewis' career has been a fairy tale. That is, a fairy tale that includes obstruction of justice charges, alleged cover-ups, tricky legal maneuvers, allegations of performance enhancers and one long, 16-year scowl.
* Let's see what's happened during the Super Bowl build up. There are allegation of PEDs. Check. A player made a ridiculous homophobic remark. Check. Media Day featured questions so dumb they sounded like they were written by third graders who'd never seen a game. Check. So far it's been a typical Super Bowl week.
* This Super Bowl will be a little different. Instead of miking up a player, a microphone will be placed on Beyonce to see if she's actually singing.
* Opposite the Super Bowl at halftime, Puppy Bowl IX will be played. To give you an idea what kind of tradition we've got here -- it's Puppy Bowl 77 in dog years.
* A Baltimore Ravens' cheerleader claims she is being barred from the game after she told the Ravens she's quitting after this season. There wasn't a dry eye in the room when she had to turn in the dental floss and two postage stamps that serve as her uniform.
* That's the big story. The two leaders who are brothers squaring off in an intense game of macho for all the marbles. But enough about John McCain vs. Chuck Hagel at the secretary of defense confirmation hearing.
* I thought I was watching highlights of a WWE Battle Royale on Thursday, but it turned out to be John McCain drilling secretary of defense nominee Chuck Hagel.* The Hagel hearing was so contentious it felt like a British soccer riot, a pro wrestling cage match, a Lee Terry townhall meeting...
* I wouldn't say a lot of scurrilous, unfounded accusations are flying, but the committee demanded to know Hagel's whereabouts when the Manti Te'o scandal went down.
* At one point, to prove he's not soft, Hagel leapt to his feet, quoting John Wayne and flexing his biceps.
* Hagel has been serving as an adviser to President Obama on intelligence. If you combine he and Warren Buffett, I believe this makes Obama the first president to have two top advisers from a state he was too busy to visit during the campaign.
* The price of a first-class stamp went up another penny. Maybe after he's done predicting the weather, we can put the groundhog in charge of the Postal Service.
* The NFL wants everything to be just perfect at the Super Bowl. Beyonce is performing at halftime. Sure, what could go wrong there?
* Twitter was down for some time Thursday. It was awful. Without Twitter, professional athletes were having to make outrageous, inflammatory, inaccurate statements face-to-face.
* It was unspeakable. With no Twitter, a nation of bewildered Americans was left to just guess what Kourtney Kardashian ate for lunch.