* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition. Check back this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* According to the Brookings Institution, of the 100 largest metro areas in the country, Omaha weathered the recession best. This ought to take some of the sting out of Omaha finishing near the top of the bedbug survey.
* Former Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson has accepted a politician-in-residence position at UNO. That’s how life works. One day you’ve got all the perks of a U.S. senator, and the next you’re driving around for 90 minutes looking for a place to park.
* Ernie Chambers has endorsed Brad Ashford for mayor. This is why the phrase “politics makes strange bedfellows” was invented.
* David Sokol also has endorsed Brad Ashford for mayor. Now if Ashford can land the support of Freddie Gray, Brenda Council and Rick Sheehy, he’ll be eligible for induction into the Controversial Endorsers Hall of Fame.
* David Sokol said he’s contributing $2,500 to Ashford’s campaign. This is huge, because Sokol could’ve instead taken that $2,500 and invested it in a stock that’d be worth $3 million in something like four days.
* Willie Nelson will be performing in Omaha on April 8. Sure, it’s OK now that Colorado can legally get a contact high.
* I understand Nelson will be flying into town April 7 on the Red Eye.
* Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle announced that a triathlon featuring over 1,000 competitors will be held in Omaha next summer. With 1,000 entrants, it will be the second-largest race in Omaha this year, next to the one for mayor.
* The Shrine Circus that was in Omaha has left town. Well, except for the two dancing polar bears who took one look at our climate and sought asylum.
* The Crossroads Redevelopment plan calls for a “high-end hotel.” That may be a little ambitious. Crossroads may want to aim lower by initially trying to get Orange Julius to renew its kiosk lease.
* It looks like sequester cuts may kick in in a matter of days. You can’t blame President Obama. Between his latest golf lesson, practicing chipping with Tiger Woods and helping Michelle pick out her Oscar gown, there has literally been no time to lobby Congress.
* President Obama met with Joe Biden and Democratic governors at the White House. It was completely closed to the press, so we can assume there was a Tiger Woods putting lesson involved.
* President Obama is going to visit Israel for the first time as president. If you’re keeping track of recent Obama visits, it will then be Israel 1, Nebraska 0.
* The number one issue that critics claim the U.S. Congress is ignoring? Jobs. It’s ironic that a group whose members spend 99 percent of every waking moment campaigning to keep their jobs would ignore the jobs of others.
* Jeb Bush is looking into buying the Miami Marlins. If son he’s already told Marlins personnel he only wants batters who hit from the right.