Omaha firefighters rescued two dogs but failed to save two cats Thursday from a house fire near 72nd and Grover Streets.
The fire began about 12:30 p.m. in the kitchen, firefighters said, and the home's occupant was gone at the time.
Fire officials said an electrical appliance malfunctioned, igniting the fire that spread to nearby combustibles and cabinets.
Wednesday, an accidental electrical malfunction started a fire in a home near 33rd Street and Woolworth Avenue, The three-story, multifamily home's occupants escaped unharmed, firefighters said.
The blaze began in a concealed space above a light mounted in a ceiling. Firefighters said an upper-level apartment and a lower-level apartment were damaged in the fire.
— Jay Withrow