A forensic pathologist has ruled that a 10-year-old Omaha boy who collapsed and died was the victim of acute bronchopneumonia, Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said.
Sydney Kola, a student at King Science and Technology Magnet Center, died Jan. 11 at Creighton University Medical Center.
The boy's mother called 911 about 12:30 a.m. that day after he exhibited flulike symptoms and collapsed.
Dr. David Jaskierny, who works with the County Attorney's Office, performed an autopsy in January. Authorities waited for the results of several additional lab tests before ruling on the cause of death.
Sydney's mother, Betty Kola, is a Kenya native who has lived in the United States for some time, authorities said. Sydney lived in Omaha about seven months. — Kevin Cole