* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition. Check back this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* More than 35,000 are expected at the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting. This will be the largest crowd gathered all year in Omaha that isn’t elbowing each other to get a better view of Loverboy.
* Do you realize how rare it is for 35,000 people to gather in Omaha and not have a free fireworks show involved?
* Berkshire shareholders are taking over the city. The “A” shareholders are at the Hilton and the DoubleTree, with “B” shareholders at the La Quintas and the Travelodge.
* Good thing the air traffic controllers furlough ended, or 27,000 of the Berkshire shareholders would be arriving Monday.
* In conjunction with the Berkshire meeting, Borsheims has a sale on engagement rings. Picture a young man getting down on one knee. "I want you to spend your life with me, just as soon as the Borsheims’ ring discount goes into effect."
* Warren Buffett has joined Twitter. Not to be outdone, Charlie Munger is upgrading to an electric typewriter.
* On Thursday, Warren Buffett sent his first tweet -- "Warren is in the house." Of course CNBC immediately suspended coverage of Facebook earnings for a four-hour special on the Buffett tweet.
* The inaugural Berkshire "Invest in Yourself" 5K is Sunday. Because it’s Omaha, the road race needs a silly theme. I know -- everyone runs 3.1 miles while holding a Dilly Bar.
* Actually, there’s a been a schedule change. With the May weather we’re having, instead of a Berkshire 5K run, the event will be a dog-sled competition.
* A $1 billion Facebook data center is on the way for Iowa, chosen over Nebraska. It could be worse -- at least we’re not Wyoming and South Dakota competing for the new Freindster center.
* President Obama nominated Penny Pritzker for commerce secretary. Of course she first gained fame in the rhyme "Penny Pritzker picked a peck of pickled peppers."
* The air traffic controllers furlough has ended. Thank goodness! There’s nothing more disconcerting than to be boarding a plane and look into the cockpit to see the pilot folding a AAA map.
* CNN is now covering sports a little different. Every time an athlete commits an error, the CNN analyst blames Republicans.
* Washington state’s legalized marijuana and same-sex marriage laws went into effect on the same day. Republicans are referring to Washington as "the Sodom and Gomorrah of the Northwest."
* Hours later, the tea party presented the White House with a petition that would force Washington state to secede from the union.
* President Obama left on a three-day "business trip" to Mexico and Costa Rica. Here’s how this works -- on a White House "business trip," Obama only brings two caddies.
* President Obama is in Mexico. Wait just a second -- if Obama is in Mexico and Warren Buffett is at the Berkshire shareholders meeting, who’s running the country?!
* I know Obama is in Mexico because I switched to the Spanish-language cable TV station, and he was appearing on a game show.
* With all the acrimony in Washington, John Boehner told Obama to "drink lots of water down there."