* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition. Check back this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* Bill Gates, the second-wealthiest man in the world, was in Omaha for the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting. Actually, after paying the Omaha hotel tax, Gates is now the sixth-wealthiest man in the world.
* Warren Buffett and Bill Gates were together. To put this in perspective, their combined net worth is almost equal to the amount of money Jean Stothert has raised in the past three weeks.
* The inaugural Berkshire Invest in Yourself 5K race was held Sunday. Smart guys that they are, Berkshire money managers Todd Combs and Ted Weschler finished one step behind Charlie Munger.
* Borsheims featured a bracelet for $8 million. Actually, with the Berkshire shareholders discount, the price was $244.49.
* Starbucks is asking the federal government for expanded tax breaks. We need a new rule: Starbucks cannot ask for any more tax breaks until it goes six straight hours without raising prices.
* President Obama gave the commencement address at Ohio State University. Obama has now been on the OSU campus five times in just over a year. There are scholarship football players at Ohio State who haven't been on campus that often.
* Because it was Obama, it was a combination “commencement speech/Democratic fundraiser.”
* Obama just returned from a whirlwind trip to Mexico and Costa Rica. Due to sequestration cuts, he took a Greyhound bus.
* South Carolina passed a bill outlawing Obamacare. Well, it sounds like someone was busy while the president was in Mexico.
* On his trip, people were burning cardboard images of President Obama. I saw this and thought: “It's time for the Republican National Convention already?”
* President Obama nominated the mayor of Charlotte, N.C., for secretary of transportation. CNN is apologizing for erroneously reporting Obama nominated the lead singer of the band Good Charlotte.
* In Ohio, Licking Heights High defeated Harvest Prep 65-0 in three innings. It's just been learned that Pete Rose bet on Harvest Prep.
* The new oldest person in the U.S. is now a woman in Michigan. She's walked this planet for so long she can remember the last time a Big Ten team didn't disappoint in a major bowl game.
* A new hybrid sport called FootGolf combines soccer and golf. The basic goal is to combine the elements of soccer with the elements of golf to create a TV viewing experience that functions as a cure for insomnia.