Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova cruised to wins in the top singles and doubles spots to lead No. 16 Nebraska to a 5-0 sweep of Wichita State on Friday in the first round of the national women’s tournament at the NU Varsity Courts.
With the victory, Nebraska improved to 23-5 on the year and advanced to an NCAA second-round match against No. 57 UNLV (20-7). The Rebels moved on to the second round with a 4-3 upset of No. 27 Tulsa earlier Friday. The Huskers will be gunning for their first-ever NCAA Sweet 16 appearance.
Weatherholt’s 6-2, 6-2 victory over Rebecca Pedrazzi at No. 1 singles made her the first Husker in history to record 200 career combined victories. The nation’s No. 11 player notched her 199th win earlier Friday, teaming with Veresova for an 8-5 win over Wichita State’s Veronika Blaskova and Lucia Kovalova. Weatherholt and Veresova, the nation’s No. 3 doubles team, improved to 20-2 on the season.
“(Weatherholt) is the best ever at Nebraska. She’s been through a lot, and I couldn’t be happier for her,” NU Scott Jacobson said.
After Weatherholt’s win at No. 1 singles, the Huskers closed out the 5-0 victory with Veresova’s 6-1, 6-3 win over WSU’s Julia Schiller at No. 2 singles and Maggy Lehmicke’s 6-4, 6-2 victory over Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul at No. 5. The matches at No. 2 and No. 5 finished simultaneously to account for the 5-0 team win.
1. Weatherholt/Veresova (NEB) def. Blaskova/Kovalova (WSU), 8-5
2. Weinstein/Weinreich (NEB) def. Venticinque/Pedrazzi (WSU), 8-6
3. Lehmicke/Zgierska (NEB) vs. Mahajaroenkul/Fernandez (WSU), DNF (7-5)
Order of finish: (1, 2)
1. Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Julia Schiller (WSU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) vs. Lucia Kovalova (WSU), DNF (2-6, 6-3, 2-1)
4. Janine Weinreich (NEB) vs. Montse Blasco Fernandez (WSU), DNF (6-1, 2-6)
5. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) def. Satjaporn Mahajaroenkul (WSU), DNF (6-4, 6-2)
6. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Carla Venticinque (WSU), 6-1, 6-1