Becoming healthier doesn't have to be an all encompassing overhaul. If you're looking for major results ASAP, of course you'll have to do more than what I'm suggesting below. But if you want small ways to make a difference, all I'm asking for is ten minutes!
Lifestyles are changed gradually through behavior changes, not crash diets and body-breaking exercise programs. This is a simple approach, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not always easy.
Take 10 EXTRA minutes every day for your health, this is in addition to the healthy eating/exercise habits you're already doing. Pick one of the following ideas to incorporate everyday for a week or two. Note how your energy level, attitude and body respond:
• Add 10 minutes of core work to your workout.
• Make a rough meal plan for the week ahead.
• Stretch your upper and lower body muscles for 5 minutes each.
• Cook breakfast. This means eggs, toast and low-fat turkey sausage. We're talking something more than what you normally prepare.
• Walk around the block (or 2) while dinner is in the oven.
• Do 10 minutes of meditation or yoga. You can also split this into 5 minutes when you wake up and 5 minutes before bed.
• Stop at the store for some fresh produce to use in the next day or two. Park at the end of the parking lot and walk briskly.
• Take a bath (this will surely need to last more than 10 minutes!)
• Go to bed 10 minutes earlier.
• Make a pitcher of fruit infused water. Make sure you use organic fruit or fruit without skin.
• Add 10 minutes of cardio to your streangth workout.
• Prepare your lunch the night before, packing a source of whole grain carb, lean protein and healthy fats, along with at least one serving of non-starchy vegetables.
• Complete as many pushups as you can in 3 minutes, followed by a plank hold for as long as possible. End by jumping rope or doing Jumping Jacks until 10 minutes is up. Take short breaks as needed, but don't stop for too long.
• Prepare overnight oatmeal the night before and sit down to enjoy it in the morning.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- Ground cinnamon
- Splash vanilla extract