Nebraska basketball has sold out season tickets for the 15,174-seat Pinnacle Bank Arena for every men’s game next season. At an average game, 3 percent of those fans will be there for the basketball with the remaining 97 percent for that “new building smell.”
Tommie Frazier was finally selected to the College Football Hall of Fame. If you’ve never been to the College Football Hall, it’s on the corner of Clueless and Procrastination.
After calling a Warriors game, Reggie Miller went in the locker room and gave a congratulatory speech. Some are concerned that TV analysts are losing objectivity. I think that happened around the time the Longhorn Network guy blocked the Oklahoma State field goal attempt.
The New Orleans NBA team has officially changed its named to Pelicans. Too bad it couldn’t go with something less silly sounding like, say, Tickle Monsters.
The group Hanson recorded a tribute video to the Oklahoma City Thunder. Thunder players said they would have been incredibly flattered if this were 1998.
San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy demoted his son to the minors. After playing on many Little League teams featuring the coach’s wild-throwing son as starting pitcher, the Bochy story makes me feel warm all over.
Tim Tebow apparently failed to respond to the Omaha Beef’s offer of $75 per game. I look for the team to up the offer to $76.
NFL free agent wide receiver Titus Young was arrested twice in 15 hours, tying the record set by Otis on “The Andy Griffith Show.”
The University of Miami signed a two-sport athlete (football, basketball) named Corn Elder. I was under the erroneous impression that Corn Elder was an elected position in Otoe County.
USAToday.com compiled a list of “The 12 Toughest Things to do in Sports.” Oddly, “Interviewing Bo Pelini at halftime” didn’t make the cut.
Nebraska volleyball signed 6-foot-3 blocker Mikaela Foecke, who played in Fort Madison, Iowa, and is known for her power. She spiked her letter of intent to Lincoln.
The Lincoln Marathon drew entrants from all over the world, possibly because Lincoln is a cosmopolitan center full of entertainment and dining options. Or, more likely, it’s because Lincoln doesn’t have one hill.
The Kentucky Derby is considered the most exciting two minutes in sports. I actually think the most exciting two minutes in sports are the 55 minutes it takes to play the final two minutes of any NBA playoff game.
NASCAR invoked a penalty on Joe Gibbs Racing because an engine part was three grams too light. After hearing this, two former Tour de France winners were laughing so hard they suffered hernias.
A Canadian woman set a land speed record on a motorized toilet. Realistically, how much competition is there for this record?
And finally: On Saturday, there was camel and ostrich racing at Horsemen’s Park. Grown men riding ostriches around a racetrack. And one of the ostriches was overheard saying how stupid curling looks.