If you sometimes forget to eat, stress eat, or overeat at night, having a list of snacks to choose from can help you gain back control.
Forgetting to eat is a problem for those who are overworked or super busy. Packing snacks that will provide satisfaction until the next meal is a good strategy. Keep these handy in the car or in a drawer at work. Putting snacks in plain sight also helps.
• High calorie, high protein granola bars such as Clif, Kashi or Pure Protein
• Single serving cartons of Kefir, such as the Lifeway brand.
• Homemade trail mix with equal parts cereal, dried fruit, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, and nuts. Store in single serve bagies.
Eating in response to stress is common. But it's important to NOT feel guilty because this will only cause the cycle to continue. Don't take the “whatever is in the cupboard” approach. Try the following:
• Fresh fruit, especially stuff you can peel
• Raw veggies of any kind
• Prepackaged, single serve items such as 100 calorie packs of nuts or frozen yogurt bars. If you struggle with heavy evening eating but always find yourself needing a little something, try the following:
• Vitatop or another similarly nutritious, sweet item. Put it on a plate and enjoy it as dessert. A squirt of fat-free whipped topping makes it a little more special.
• 3-4 cups light popcorn mixed with 2 TBSP of pistachios, almonds or other nuts.
• ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese with a drop or two of Sriracha chile sauce.
Regaining control requires a little structure when things get tough and obstacles get in the way. Choosing from a predetermined list can help you stay on track and avoid the guilt associated with overdoing it.