Point guard Nick Norton has decided to back off his commitment to play basketball at Creighton.
Norton confirmed to The World-Herald a message that he put out on Twitter that he was re-opening the recruiting process. The 5-foot-9 guard from Columbia, Mo., committed to the Bluejays a year ago as a junior-to-be at Rock Bridge High School.
“I decided (to decommit) because of personal reasons,” Norton said in a text.
Ezra Talbert, another player that committed before his junior year of high school, announced earlier this spring that he was decommitting. When both players committed, Creighton was still a member of the Missouri Valley. The school becomes a member of the new Big East on July 1.
Norton suffered a torn knee ligament last season. He said his rehabilitation is going well, and that he expects to be back on the court in the fall.
Still no word on Gibbs
The wait continues for Grant Gibbs.
Gibbs said he has not heard anything from the NCAA regarding his petition for a sixth year of eligibility. Creighton filed the petition last month.
“It’s really starting to drag along,” Gibbs said.
Gibbs spent his first two seasons at Gonzaga, redshirting as a freshman because of torn labrum in his shoulder. He transferred to Creighton in the summer of 2010, but sat out the 2010-11 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. He also underwent knee surgery that year, which would have probably sidelined him regardless of his decision to leave Gonzaga.
Creighton officials had hoped to hear by the end of May whether Gibbs, a starter for the past two seasons, would receive the waiver that would give him an additional year of eligibility.
Gibbs said it was his understanding that the process has been delayed because additional information was needed regarding his medical history at Gonzaga.
“They said it could be potentially another week before we hear anything,” he said.
Contact the writer:
402-679-2298, firstname.lastname@example.org, twitter.com/PivOWH