* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition. Check back this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* There is a new so-called "smart pill." Oh, great -- this means we could see a performance-enhancing drug scandal at the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
* The G8 summit of world leaders is taking place at a remote lakeside golf resort in Northern Ireland. If you looked closely in the background, you could see Gov. Dave Heineman preparing to tee off.
* The city of Omaha is facing a $16.5 million budget shortfall for 2014. By spring of 2015, the entire city should be one enormous pothole.
* Mayor Jean Stothert is all about saving money. Instead of setting a house on fire, she suggested the Fire Department train by using those birthday candles that are impossible to put out.
* According to a study, happiness and enjoyment of people can lead to a longer life. If that's true the average life span of LSU baseball fans is about 109.
* The College World Series features 72-year-old organist Jerry Pawlak, perhaps better known as "the youngest stadium organist in America."
* Louisville was the only of the eight CWS teams to bring its mascot. If you have to ask why that is, you've never spent 15 innings in 90-percent humidity standing inside a bird head.
* In a game Saturday, UCLA attempted the old hidden ball trick, which failed. That works better at home for UCLA players ... when they can hide the ball in the smog.
* I believe the hidden ball trick was suggested by Sue the T. Rex at the Durham.
* For the first game of the CWS, on the top of the third base dugout, "college" was mistakenly spelled "colllege." This is what happens when 35 beer gardens are open within 100 yards of the stadium.
* Cyber-ubiquitous NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden did an online Q&A with readers of The Guardian. Not only that -- he will be participating in the next gardening chat on Omaha.com.
* President Obama is attending the G8 summit with seven other world leaders in Northern Ireland. Actually, it's now the G9 summit -- Edward Snowden was discovered hiding under a table with a recording device.
* We have no idea what's going on at the G8 summit. Every reporter and photographer in the world is staking out Kim Kardashian's house hoping to get a look at the new baby.
* Before leaving for the G8 summit, President Obama taped an interview with Charlie Rose on PBS. He's so used to his staff arranging fluff interviews that a shocked Obama looked at Rose and said: "You're not Hoda."
* Obama was just interviewed on PBS. PBS? Apparently The Food Channel was booked and Jimmy Fallon couldn't squeeze him in.
* Newark Mayor Cory Booker explained why he's running for U.S. Senate. This is kind of lame -- he wants to get the heck out of Newark.
* Experts say Booker's big challenge will be proving he's Congress material. So, after making his announcement, he began blabbering incoherently and fell off the podium.