A woman was taken to a local hospital for observation Saturday after a fire severely damaged her Carter Lake home.
Jennetta Guerrero, 55, didn’t want to go to Creighton University Medical Center, where she was in stable condition, said her son, Ricky Komor of Carter Lake.
Komor said his mother lived alone in the house. Guerrero is disabled and on oxygen for a medical condition, he said.
The fire was reported about 6 a.m. at 1305 Dorene Blvd.
Eric Bentzinger, chief of the Carter Lake Volunteer Fire Department, said considerable damage was done to the living room and its contents. Other parts of the house had smoke and water damage.
The house was blackened on the outside and the living room charred, but Bentzinger said the foundation and roof were sound. It wasn’t clear if the house could be salvaged.
Bentzinger said the cause hadn’t been determined.