* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition.
* Omaha Fashion Week is underway. Mayor Jean Stothert debuted a turtleneck sweater with its own gun rack.
* Omaha Mayor Stothert obtained a concealed carry permit and a Glock gun. She’s like Clint Eastwood only with a worse budget.
* Over the weekend, I thought I was watching an Omaha Community Playhouse production of “Annie Oakley.” It turned out to be a Stothert press conference.
* Mayor Stothert said: “People have a right. They have a right according to the Second Amendment.” Stothert’s also in favor of the First Amendment, just so city employees check with her before exercising their free speech.
* The Omaha budget deficit has been reduced from $13 million to $5.2 million. So it sounds like that check I mailed in to pay my property taxes has cleared the bank.
* Neighbors oppose the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium’s proposal for a beer garden at the site of the old Rosenblatt Stadium. I agree; there should not be a beer garden that close to the zoo. Two words: “Drunk lions.”
* Czech ambassador Petr Gandalovic stopped by Prague, Neb. OK, this is when you know those GPS devices are getting confused.
* There are plans for a new Bucky’s at the site of Louis Market in Benson. Instead, Benson leaders were going to put in a shopping mall but decided they wanted something larger.
* This will benefit the small number of Omahans who currently live more than eight yards from a Bucky’s.
* There is a YouTube video of a woman in South Korea who took her driving test and in the first seven seconds ran into a wall and flipped the car. In Omaha, she still would have passed.
* The woman and DMV employee in the car were both unhurt, and she has vowed to do better next time. That’s setting the bar high.
* On his last day of vacation, President Obama played golf with “Seinfeld” creator Larry David. You just know Obama was thinking: “I hope history doesn’t record my administration as being a presidency about nothing.”
* Later this week President Obama embarks on a two-day bus tour of upstate New York and Pennsylvania. Actually, considering how Obama loves holidays, instead of a bus, aides are putting the president in a Winnebago and telling him it’s a vacation.
* North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory signed a controversial voter I.D. bill. Proponents: We need to know “who the voters are.” Who the voters are? When you look at what they say during the campaigns compared to how they act after the election, we don’t even know who the candidates are.
* In late August, President Obama will award the highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to Oprah Winfrey. Because it’s Obama, I believe other honorees include Rachel Ray and Judge Alex.
* Alec Baldwin is getting his own program on MSNBC. Each show will begin when the host goes on a two-minute profane rant against his own cameramen.
* Alec Baldwin is joining MSNBC, where he will be the 285th most liberal person in the house.
* A passenger flying from Seattle to New York City simply left his suitcase behind when the airline tried to charge him a $1,400 baggage fee. For that kind of money I think you could buy the Lincoln airport.