World-Herald columnist Brad Dickson has a lightning round of questions to preview the 2013 college football season.
* * *
1. The college football season officially begins when:
A). The Chick-fil-A Kickoff game is played.
B). The ESPN preview show airs.
C). Barney Cotton trashes all message boards.
2. In 2013, Husker fans are most concerned with:
A). The offense.
B). The defense.
C). The color scheme of the alternate jerseys.
3. The second week of the college football season is traditionally marked by:
A). Having a sense of where your team stands.
B). Players starting to get the kinks out.
C). For the 1,000th time, a coach somewhere utters, “We need to bring our 'A' game.”
4. The biggest joy of Husker fans at the end of each season is:
A). Reliving the season highlights.
B). Anticipating all of the returning veterans.
C). Watching the 38-second video of all of Coach Pelini's postgame press conferences.
5. The most valuable commodity in all of college football:
A). A potent, experienced quarterback.
B). A “comes up big when it counts” defense.
C). Johnny Manziel's signature.
6. The one thing you can always count on each season:
A). Several big overtime games.
B). A couple of huge upsets.
C). Lee Corso issuing approximately 15 apologies.
7. Husker fans have reason to be optimistic due to:
A). The fourth-year quarterback.
B). The super-fast, no-huddle offense.
C). A schedule made in athletic director heaven.
8. Ohio State's biggest worry going into 2013:
A). Losing to Michigan.
B). Finishing out of the top 10.
C). Having several stars busted by Dog the Bounty Hunter.
9. The Huskers' team speed will be most evident when:
A). Jamal Turner outraces a safety.
B). Kenny Bell runs past a cornerback.
C). Bo Pelini leaves the sideline reporter trying to interview him at halftime in the dust.
10. You know college football season is here when:
A). The air turns crisp.
B). Frost is on the pumpkins.
C). BTN is airing football games from the current decade.
11. The best example of the World-Herald's comprehensive Husker coverage is:
A). The preseason guide you are currently reading.
B). The in-depth postgame analysis.
C). Our eight-part series on Taylor Martinez's tattoos.
12. Wisconsin's season will be considered a success if:
A). It finishes at the top of the Leaders Division.
B). The team adjusts to new coach Gary Andersen's system.
C). The fans come up with a couple of new obscene taunts.
13. The three words that most excite any Husker fan:
A). “Go Big Red.”
B). “We're number one.”
C). “Online fan vote.”
14. The surest sign of Husker fan devotion is:
A). The Memorial Stadium sellout streak.
B). The booming business of Husker paraphernalia stores.
C). Tears flowing down the fans' faces when the backup long-snapper takes the field.
15. The biggest “love story” of 2013 should be:
A). The Penn State comeback story.
B). A player returning from a knee injury due to the support of friends and family.
C). ESPN's unconditional devotion to the SEC.
16. The most coveted accolade for a college football player in 2013 is:
A). Winning the Heisman Trophy.
B). Winning the Outland Trophy.
C). Getting 10,000 Instagram followers.
17. The most inspirational Big Ten moment is expected to be:
A). When an Ohio State band member dots the “i.”
B). Penn State fans' “white out.”
C). Jim Delany crowning himself “Conference Emperor.”
18. The governing body that controls most of what happens in college football is formally known as:
A). The NCAA.
B). The Association of Conference Commissioners.
19. The best thing about a college football playoff will be:
A). Determining the best team in the nation on the field of play.
B). Elimination of BCS controversy.
C). Diminished importance of the Belk Bowl parade.
20. The dream of every Husker fan attending a game in 2013 is:
A). To witness a Nebraska victory.
B). To stand near the field during the Tunnel Walk.
C). To get a photo with Larry The Cable Guy and Matt Damon's nephew.
KEY: The answer to every question is “C.”