NORFOLK — A magnifying glass left on a deck ignited wood at an apartment house Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters responded at 1:01 p.m. to a fire at the rear of the apartment house, said Capt. John Reding of the Norfolk Fire Division.
They encountered moderate smoke and fire from the deck area of the two-story building, but the fire was contained to the deck area.
Firefighters remained on the scene for about an hour for investigation and overhaul.
The fire appears to have been caused by a large magnifying glass that had been left on the deck, concentrating direct sunlight onto the deck and igniting the wood.
The building is owned by Allen Butterfield of Lincoln. There were no injuries to occupants or firefighters during the incident.
The Norfolk Police Division, Nebraska Public Power District and Black Hills Energy assisted at the scene.