BEATRICE, Neb. (AP) — Fire, smoke and water have damaged an apartment in a residence hall at a Beatrice college campus.
The fire was reported shortly after 9:30 p.m. Monday at Southeast Community College.
Beatrice Fire Capt. Jeff VanWinkle said most of the damage was caused when a sprinkler system activated.
Investigators said a resident of the apartment had begun heating cooking oil but left the apartment to visit another student. VanWinkle said the oil caught fire and the flames spread to cabinets and a vent above the stove.
VanWinkle said some students went to a motel because of the damage, which was estimated at $25,000 to $30,000.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.