A fire Friday damaged at least 12 units at a northwest Omaha apartment complex that has seen more than its share of trouble.
It was the third fire at Hillsborough Pointe Apartments since December 2012.
Both of the previous blazes were caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials, fire officials said. Hillsborough has since banned smoking in those buildings.
In Friday's fire, one person was taken in serious condition to Lakeside Hospital, suffering from possible smoke inhalation, said Battalion Chief Tim McCaw of the Omaha Fire Department.
No fire cause was announced.
Hillsborough Pointe is northwest of 144th Street and West Maple Road. The complex has about a dozen buildings. The fire was reported about 2 p.m. and contained to one building.
Pat Nitsch, 62, said three fires in 13 months was enough for her.
"I think I'm moving,'' she said. "Wouldn't you?''
Nitsch, an insurance agent, said she was displaced by the March 21 fire.
She said she was living two floors below the third-floor unit where Friday's blaze may have started in an eave or ceiling, eventually spreading to attic space.
"I pretty much lost everything in that second fire,'' she said. "And I'll probably lose everything again.''
McCaw said that when the fire spread to the attic space, which lacks sprinklers, firefighters went into a "complete defensive mode,'' fearing that the building's roof might collapse.
Randy Clemens, 30, a second-floor resident, said he has lived at Hillsborough Pointe for about 18 months, and the latest blaze was too close for comfort.
"I heard the fire, went into the hallway and then heard somebody yell 'get out.' So I grabbed the first pair of boots I could find and got out,'' he said.
Clemens said he later checked a third-floor apartment where he thought the fire may have started and "nobody was home, so I dropped down to the floor and got out of there, too.''
McCaw said 12 apartments sustained smoke and water damage. He did not know how many tenants were displaced. One cat was rescued from the fire.
Shawn Knudsen, manager of the property, said in a brief interview that the latest fire was "bad luck.''
"We'll help these residents as much as we can, too,'' he said.
Clemens and Nitsch praised Knudsen and his staff for assisting residents after the previous fires.
They said Knudsen put in sprinkler systems on decks and helped the displaced move to empty apartments.
Firefighters avoided injury in the March 21 blaze after a ceiling and wall collapsed. About 30 tenants were displaced in that fire as well as the 2012 fire.