A candy sack full of Halloween-related activities awaits. Here we offer a roundup of events.
• Gifford Farm Education Center Trick or Treat With the Animals: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 19 at 700 Camp Gifford Road in Bellevue.
Safe trick-or-treating offered along with farm games and activities. The cost is $5 per child up to age 12, with accompanying adults free.
• Halloween Junior Chefs Snack Attack: 3 p.m. Oct. 21 at the La Vista Community Center, 8116 Park View Blvd.
The La Vista Recreation Department and La Vista Public Library will teach children ages 7 to 10 to prepare creative, healthy snacks. Cost: $5 per child. Registration must be made by Wednesday. Space is limited to 16 participants. Call 402-331-3455 to sign up.
• Haunted Safari: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. today at Wildlife Safari Park near Ashland, Neb.
Wear your costume and dress for the weather. Take haunted hike and a spooky ride, enjoy supper, roast marshmallows and play ghostly games in the great outdoors. Reservations are required.
Cost: $15 for Wildlife Safari Park and Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium members; $20 for nonmembers. Cost doesn’t include park admission during 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. operating hours. To make reservations, call 402-738-2092 or visit omahazoo.com.
• JST4U HalloTween Party: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 19 at the Bellevue Public Library, 1003 Lincoln Road.
For students in fifth through eighth grades. Crafts, a not-too-spooky movie and an edible project.
• Lil’ Chefs Halloween Storytime and Cooking Class: 11 a.m. Oct. 22 at the La Vista Community Center, 8116 Park View Blvd.
The La Vista Recreation Department and La Vista Public Library are co-hosts. The class costs $3 and is limited to the first 20 children ages 3 to 6 with a parent accompanying them. The event includes a story about cooking and preparation of a meal. Registration must be done by Wednesday. Call 402-331-3455 to sign up.
• Spooktacular: 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Friday through Oct. 20 and Oct. 26 and 27 at Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium.
Purchase tickets in advance for $7 per person for zoo members or $8 for nonmembers. Children age 2 and younger are admitted free. Costumes are welcome. For tickets, visit Guest Services at the zoo or omahazoo.com.
• Squirrel Cage Ghost Hunt: 8 p.m. Oct. 19 to 3 a.m. Oct. 20 at 226 Pearl St. in Council Bluffs.
Participate in an overnight ghost hunt at the historical Pottawattamie County Squirrel Cage, a one-of-a-kind revolving jail built in 1885. Although the jail has been uninhabited since 1969, many of its caretakers have gotten the feeling that the jails’ past residents have hung around. Hosted by nationally recognized Paranormal Distraction.
The cost to participate in this ghost hunt is $60 cash per person due at the door the day of the hunt or in advance at the Squirrel Cage. Preregister at paranormaldistraction.net under the Upcoming Events tab. A portion of the proceeds go to the Pottawattamie County Historical Society and the preservation of the Squirrel Cage.
• VODEC Halloween Haunt Dance: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 23 at the MidAmerica Center in Council Bluffs.
Costumes encouraged and refreshments provided. Cost: $10 cash at the door. RSVP to Michelle at 712-328-2638. The dance is geared toward individuals with intellectual disabilities. Support staff for individuals who cannot be alone in the community are admitted free with paid guest.