* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning jokes.
* Something called the "HLN Rivalry Express Tour" is in Lincoln for the Husker-Illinois game. Remember the glory days of Husker football, when Keith Jackson or Brent Musburger would hit town? Now, we get Robin Meade and Jane Velez-Mitchell.
* Tropical Storm Karen is charging toward the Gulf Coast. Due to all the government furloughs, the National Weather Service forecasts are being made by Joe Biden.
* Miley Cyrus is embroiled in a feud with Sinead O'Connor. When you consider the priorities of the news media, I guess we've heard the last of the federal government shutdown.
* Brain researchers have announced one person can trigger movement in another person simply by sending a signal via thought. If this is possible, let’s all send signals to members of the current Congress to jump in the nearest lake.
* This means that at about 9 p.m. on a Saturday, when your husband is watching his fourth college football game of the day, you can will him to fall off the couch.
* According to a new study, some dogs are "emotional eaters." You mean opposed to the dogs that try to follow the food pyramid?
* At a Pittsburgh hospital, newborns are being decked out in Pirates gear. I'd make fun of this if I didn't live in a state where newborns at Lincoln hospitals are issued a diaper and a rubber corncob head.
* Right before halftime of the game with Iowa State, Texas completed a 44-yard Hail Mary pass for a TD. Texas Coach Mack Brown calls the play "the job-saver."
* I wouldn’t say the Iowa State-Texas game outcome was slightly questionable, but the last call was made by an analyst for the Longhorn Network.
* It’s supposed to be cold at the Nebraska-Illinois game on Saturday. The game’s been dubbed "The Winter Classic."
* Alabama has canceled it football series with Michigan State in 2016-2017. So, still afraid of the Big Ten Legends Division, huh, 'Bama?