A 63-year-old man armed with a gun who spent much of the night barricaded inside his house was arrested late Wednesday, Omaha police said.

Richard Marsh was alone inside a home at 5631 Grover St. when he was arrested, said Officer James Shade, a police spokesman.

Linda Marsh, 62, told police that her husband had fired a gunshot while inside the home’s garage. She fled to safety at a neighbor’s home, police said.

Officers at the scene spotted the home’s garage door closing, but they did not see Richard Marsh. Police said officers established a perimeter around the residence and requested assistance from the Emergency Response Unit and negotiators.

About 9:45 p.m., police sounded a horn, then offered instructions over a speaker. An officer said Marsh should come to his front door. After repeating the message, police took Marsh into custody.

Police said Marsh appeared to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head. Marsh was taken to the Nebraska Medical Center.

Police said Marsh was to be booked on suspicion of making terroristic threats and misdemeanor domestic violence assault after his release from the med center.

The standoff was the fifth in the Omaha area in a little more than a month.

» Jan. 22: Mark L’Heureux barricaded himself in his home at 83rd Street and Keystone Avenue for 25 hours, firing at deputies and officers before surrendering. A police dog was killed. L’Heureux was found unresponsive in jail and died Feb. 2.

» Jan. 28: Officers confronted car-theft suspect William Adams at an apartment at 3712 S. 68th Plaza. He reportedly told Omaha police that he did not want to go back to prison. An officer shot and killed Adams after police say he lowered his gun in the direction of officers.

» Feb. 10: Dwight Rodgers is accused of shooting up the Parliament Pub southwest of 168th Street and West Center Road before retreating to a nearby apartment and shooting at police. A negotiator convinced him to surrender, police said. Bail later was set at $10 million.

» Feb. 12: Kenneth Clark held ex-girlfriend Julie Edwards hostage for several hours and killed two of her brothers at Clark's home at at 2511 N. 140th St., the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office reported. The brothers, John and Jason Edwards, had come over with Julie Edwards to help her move out. Clark released her and continued a standoff until the evening, when he died of what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Contact the writer: 402-444-3106, emerson.clarridge@owh.com

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.