Omaha Fire Department officials say they will be visiting schools and speaking to community groups next week to promote fire prevention week, which begins Sunday.
The National Fire Protection Association said it is using next week to promote awareness of kitchen fires. Cooking is the main cause of fires in homes, firefighters say.
Other chief causes include faulty furnaces and unattended candles. Firefighters urge homeowners to inspect those items in their homes as well as crafting a home-escape plan.
Also, the fire department is offering free smoke and carbon monoxide alarm installations as part of its Operation Home Safe initiative.