An Omaha woman critically injured last week in a northwest Omaha apartment fire has been released from a hospital.

Julie Klabunde-Jones and her infant were critically injured in the fire.

Wednesday, the Nebraska Medical Center said Klabunde-Jones had been released. The infant was taken to Children’s Hospital & Medical Center, which has not released any information on the child.

Meanwhile, the cause of Friday’s fire at the Plaza 93 West Apartments near North 93rd Street and Bedford Avenue was blamed on food left cooking on a stove, Battalion Chief Tim McCaw said Wednesday.

The fire started in Klabune-Jones’ kitchen near the apartment’s front door, blocking an exit, fire officials have said.

— Jay Withrow

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.