Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Fire in house near 18th and Center displaces residents

  • Updated
  • 0
House fire

Fire crews investigate Tuesday after firefighters extinguished a fire in a house near 18th and Center Streets. 

Omaha firefighters responded to a fire Tuesday in a house near 18th and Center Streets that left the house uninhabitable.

The fire was called in around 11 a.m., said Omaha Fire Battalion Chief John Stolinski. Heavy smoke filled the air and flames were shooting from an upstairs window.

Firefighters arrived to find one person attempting to put out the fire with a garden hose.

It took about 15 minutes for crews to extinguish the fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Two people were in the home at the time and got out safely. Medics who arrived at the scene were evaluating the two. No injuries were reported.

Stolinski said the American Red Cross was contacted to help the displaced residents and two dogs.

Damage to the house, which was valued at $41,200, was estimated at $25,500. In addition, officials estimated that the house's $25,000 in contents sustained $10,000 in damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to careless disposal of smoking materials.

0 Comments
* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Two people were found dead early Friday in a house in Bennington after Douglas County sheriff's deputies were sent there to investigate a possible murder-suicide.

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

all

Breaking News

Huskers Breaking News

News Alert