Back in the Day: Scenes of North Omaha
The North Omaha Turnback Tax Committee is seeking applicants to fill two open positions.
The committee has worked annually since 2009 to select grant recipients who bring tourism to North Omaha, strengthen community ties through programs and events, and assist with the reduction of street and gang violence.
New grant funding for the upcoming year will help with small businesses and entrepreneurship growth in North Omaha. Funding requires that 10% of the turnback tax be used to support tourism in parts of Omaha with high concentrations of poverty.
Applicants must live in the North Omaha area, attend meetings regularly and read all grant submissions.
Each volunteer member will be expected to serve a four-year term. Applications are available online at
douglascounty-ne.gov. For more information, call 402-444-7025 or 402-444-5547.
Photos: Scenes of North Omaha
24th Street between Patrick and Burdette looking north, during the Health Fair parade in May 1967.
The Near North Side Branch YMCA was housed inside the Webster Telephone Exchange building at 2213 Lake St. from early 1946 to 1950.
Catherine Carrick, secretary of the Omaha Housing Authority, breaks ground in August 1936, on the $2 million Logan Fontenelle homes project near 22nd and Charles Streets. She is surrounded by federal, city, civic officials and seventh and eighth-grade students from the nearby Kellom School.
Kids playing at the Logan Fontenelle housing project.
A Near North YMCA van pictured circa early 1960s. Sam Cornelius, director of the Near North YMCA branch, is pictured in the center.
A parade line of children winds through the Logan Fontenelle housing area between 20th and 24th Streets north of Charles Street. On warm days, like this one in June 1959, the area buzzed with kids.
Technical High School students study black heritage in March 1968. From left are Jessie House, Wallace Harper, teacher Sally Kaeding, Ken Bradford and Ben Haulston. With back to camera is Mary Marion.
Technical High School in 1929, six years after it opened as the largest school west of Chicago with 3,000 students.
Basketball practice inside the Near North YMCA at 22nd Street and Willis Avenue in 1970.
The Near North YMCA located at 22nd Street and Willis Avenue. Pictured is Bob Boozer, left, and YMCA Director Sam Cornelius circa 1960s.
The day after beating the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the World Series in 1964, Bob Gibson rode through the neighborhood where he grew up in a Buick convertible, receiving a hero's welcome.
1966 PHOTO: Bryant Center, an outdoor basketball facility with five black-top courts, lights, bleachers and an electric scoreboard, was coronated in September 1966 on an empty lot at 24th and Burdette Streets.
Children were among the throngs lining the streets on Oct. 16, 1964 during a parade for "Bob Gibson Day."
Ronnie Wright, 18, and little brother Ricky Wright, 13, play basketball in the snow on the courts at Kountze Park in January 1969.
1971 PHOTO: Long School, on the northeast corner of 26th and Franklin Streets. Before becoming principal at Lake Elementary, Swain taught at Howard Kennedy and Long Schools.
Lothrop School as it appeared in 1966.
The Safeway grocery store at the northeast corner of 24th and Lake Streets in April 1965. Its large parking lot on a busy intersection was a natural place for people to congregate.
The Ritz Theater at 2041 N. 24th St in April 1945.
Omaha Mayor A.V. Sorensen, foreground, talks at the official opening of a playground at 28th and Grant Streets in August 1966.
Omaha Tech grad and All-American Kansas State basketball player Bob Boozer, right, returned to his old neighborhood to help with the Near North YMCA basketball clinic in July 1966.
Federal Market at 1414 N. 24th St., shown here around 1946, was one of several businesses filling North Omaha.
The intersection of 24th and Erskine Streets looking north in 1943.
The northwest corner of 24th and Lake Streets in January 1963.
The intersection of 24th and Ohio Streets looking south toward Lake Street in 1977.
1973 PHOTO: A parade in observance of Malcolm X's birthday at 24th and Paul Streets.
The Jewell building on N. 24th St. in 1946.
The intersection of 24th and Lake Streets looking south in 1947.
24th Street looking south from Lake in 1981.
Central High's "Rhythm Boys" with coach Warren Marquiss, standing, preparing for the 1968 basketball tournament.
1967 PHOTO: Omaha Central basketball standout William "Willie" Frazier, left, receives the Claude V. Spencer Memorial Sportsmanship trophy at the Bryant Center.
Students at Franklin School line up to get their swings in a ball game in November 1969. Notable are the portable classrooms in the outfield. At the time, the Omaha Public Schools District were considering expansion while also dealing with changing demographics of the student body.
Jazz musician Preston Love in front of the Jewel Building in 1972.
Near North YMCA at 22nd and Grant Streets circa 1960s.
DePorres Club members protest in front of Reeds Ice Cream in 1953 for not hiring blacks.
Members of the Logan Fontenelle Lawn Patrol promote spring clean-up in April 1957.
A Kellom pool scene from July 1952.
In February 1954, Lake School fifth-graders reenact a scene from 65 years earlier when their school was the first in Nebraska to fly the American flag.
Lake Street west of 24th in 1967 included the Legal Aid Society inside the Carver Savings and Loan building and The Off Beat Supper Club.
It was estimated that more than 10,000 people turned out on July 2, 1967, for a parade sponsored by the Opportunities Industrialization Center. The parade was escorted by police and a sound truck. The main attraction was singer James Brown, who arrived from Chicago too late to participate in the parade, but his band rode in a bus up the parade route to Kountze Park. Brown and his band performed that night at Rosenblatt Stadium.
Rodney Wead speaks to a group on civil rights in April 1968.
The Omaha Star employed a number of children to deliver the newspaper.
Coach Josh Gibson's YMCA team circa 1962.