Omaha fire officials say a fire at an Omaha paper company was caused by a wire that sparked and ignited a bale of shredded paper.

Employees at International Paper, 7202 N. 16th Street, were evacuated after the blaze broke out about 11:45 p.m. Sunday. Everyone got out safely.

Battalion Chief Tim McCaw said a wire on a machine that shreds paper caused the sparks. Damage was estimated at $800,000.

-- Maggie O'Brien

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.

You must be a digital subscriber to view this article.