Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Nebraska AG's Office to oversee grand jury in shooting after Scottsbluff standoff

Nebraska AG's Office to oversee grand jury in shooting after Scottsbluff standoff


Scottsbluff Police Capt. Brian Wasson talks on the phone during Monday’s standoff in Scottsbluff.

A 47-year-old Scottsbluff man has been killed in a shooting after a police standoff in Scottsbluff. The Nebraska State Patrol is investigating the shooting.

SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. — The Nebraska Attorney General’s Office will oversee a grand jury investigation into a shooting that occurred after a standoff with police in Scottsbluff.

Authorities released the identity of the man killed in the shooting Monday, identifying him as Daniel Ojeda, 47, of Scottsbluff.

Officers responded to a home in Scottsbluff at about noon. Scanner reports indicated that Ojeda was armed, possibly with two handguns, and had made threats to himself or others.

As officers responded, they reported shots having been fired. An officer who was trying to make contact with Ojeda also reported seeing him holding a handgun behind his back.

Scottsbluff police tried to negotiate with Ojeda for about 5½ hours, initiating phone calls with the man, using bull horns and sending in robots to communicate with him.

At about 5:26 p.m., SWAT officers entered the home, and Scottsbluff Police Chief Kevin Spencer confirmed that Ojeda was shot and killed.

Scanner traffic indicated shots had been fired and observers at the scene reported hearing gunshots, but police have not released any details on whether Ojeda fired on officers.

The Nebraska State Patrol is investigating.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.



Breaking News

Huskers Breaking News

News Alert