The City of Gretna has identified its plans for future road work projects.
The state-mandated plan, known as a one- and six-year street plan, was approved by the City Council at its Feb. 16 meeting. The plan identifies projects the city intends to complete in the current year as well as through 2021.
The major projects for the year include work on South Street in front of Gretna Elementary School as well as on Meadow Lane and Meadow Drive and a section of Wallace Street. At the meeting, the council also awarded a contract for this asphalt work, which is expected to move forward in the spring.
The council approved the 2016 street improvement plan and awarded a contract to Cather and Sons Construction for all asphalt projects identified on the one-year plan. A contract for concrete work will be considered at the next council meeting.
In addition to general street maintenance as needed, the projects identified in the one-year plan are:
• asphalt overlay on Meadow Lane and Meadow Drive;
• asphalt overlay on South Street from South Scott Street to Wesgaye Street;
• asphalt overlay on Wallace Street from North Scott Street to North Aberdeen Avenue;
• median construction at the northeast Highway 31 and Melia Drive intersection.
The city identified 18 items on its six-year plan. The list remains unchanged from 2015 with the exception of two additions: the reconstruction of sections of Westplains Road and 216th Street.
The projects on the six-year list are:
• The alley between North McKenna Avenue and Aberdeen Street (north of Wallace Street);
• Angus Street from Cherokee Street to Bryan Street;
• Highway 6/31 and Jansen Drive deceleration turn lane;
• 200th Street north of Highway 370;
• Husker Drive north of Patton Street;
• R&R Road from Highway 6/31 to 217th Street;
• Fairview Road from Highway 6/31 to 220th Street;
• Brick reconstruction on North McKenna Avenue from Angus Street to Burns Road;
• widening of Angus Street from Highway 6/31 to 204th St;
• 204th Street from Angus Street south to the city limits;
• Platteview Road west of Highway 31;
• Capehart Road west of Highway 6 to the city limits;
• Apache Drive from Paradise Drive to Gruenther Road;
• 204th Street from East Westplains Road to East Glenmore Drive
• 220th Street from Fairview Road to R&R Road and R&R Road from 217th Street to 220th Street;
• Westplains Road from Pontiac Drive to North McKenna Avenue;
• 216th Street from Angus Street north to the city limits.